Monday, September 24, 2012

Brooke's Still I Rise poetry assignment


Still I rise

Out of the three poems that we read this one stuck out most in my head. I could almost see her writing this poem and I could imagine the struggles she went through and how she took everything as an opportunity to rise. The whole poem flowed very well and I can tell the effort put into it. She really knows how to create imagery and really make you feel what she is feeling. I really liked the part where she said “Did you want to see me broken? Bowed head and lowered eyes? Shoulders falling down like teardrops. Weakened by my soulful cries.” I can picture a girl in my head that is just very depressed and down but she just stands up and walks it off. That line is specifically just seems like a fuck you to me. The part where she says “Shoulders falling down like teardrops. Weakened by my soulful cries” is a beautiful use of a simile, you can just imagine her shoulders falling slowly like the first tear drop falling from your eyes. When she said, “Does my sexiness upset you? Does it come as a surprise That I dance like I've got diamonds At the meeting of my thighs?” It is shocking because women don’t usually talk about there sexuality. I respect her for saying this because your sexuality is nothing to be ashamed of and It’s not socially accepted for girls or women to be sexual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment