Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ari's poetry assignment: reaction to Bukowski's the Crunch


The Crunch

            In the poem, The Crunch, by Charles Bukowski uses a lot of repetition and different things to make his poem more interesting.  I feel like he uses a lot of repetition because he wants to get his point across.  I also feel like he does it because in a depressing story like this one, he needs to make it a little bit more interesting.  The writer also uses simile; a simile is comparing two things with like or as.  When using simile, it makes a story more interesting by using comparisons and more real-life examples to make the story better.  This is most likely why the writer used simile to write his poem.    

            Charles Bukowski also uses metaphors a couple times to shorten what he is trying to get across. I feel like he does it for other reasons too, (e.g: making the story shorter, better written and more interesting)

How I Reacted To The Poem

            I found the poem to be very depressing and a little bit hopeful at the same time.  I liked the poem, but not enough to read it again.  I really did like how the poem talked about how people can’t love each other and there are a lot more haters than lovers. It also talks a lot about people judging other people which I really like as well. 
            After reading the poem, I felt like I should do something about all the haters in the world, but then I realized I have no power to do anything.  This made me feel kind of depressed.
r, better written and more interesting)

No comments:

Post a Comment